Wednesday 14 November 2007

WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH...........

Fancying a change of reading matter I bought the Independent newspaper this morning. Its bold headline revealed the details of an endangered species…. the carrier bag!

Highlighting numerous areas that have already banned the use of plastic bags, apparently 33 London councils have signed up to a pledge to make their wards bag free zones. The paper also lists towns planning to ban bags; the nearest in the north east region is Durham.

Perhaps it’s just me, but shouldn’t these authorities be concentrating on more important things like provision for old people, schools, regeneration etc. I’m personally committed to doing what I can to save the environment: I recycle most of my rubbish, I watch the electric and heating bills and try to buy organic and local produce. However, whilst the likes of McDonalds, Asda and Tesco produce enough rubbish themselves to fill a land fill site, I don’t want my council devoting tax payer’s money to banning plastic bags. So far South Tyneside have not jumped on the band wagon, but I fear it will be a case of “watch this space”.

Anyway, I’m off to put my Spar carrier bag in the loft for safe keeping. Thirty years down the line you can see the kids on the Antiques Road Show “No, we don’t know what it was used for, but Dad kept it in the loft with the family silver”……

2 comments:

rossinisbird said...

"shouldn’t these authorities be concentrating on more important things like provision for old people, schools, regeneration"

They should be concentrating on them all, including the environment. If you allow councils to use the "it's this or that" argument you're letting them off the hook.

"I don’t want my council devoting tax payer’s money to banning plastic bags"

The alternative is 'devoting' your council tax to pay for the disposal of them and leaving your children to pay the environmental and health costs.

PETER SHAW said...

Exactly. But what you fail to quote me on is the reference to big business, who continue to fill this country with rubbish. Go to the Metro Centre and hang about McDonalds and see the staff who are paid to pick up the rubbish left behind due to the actions of this billion dollar/pound company.

Therefore don’t expect me to do my bit (though I do) when these companies run amok with two fingers pointed to the planet!

Plus….its good to hear from you rossinisbird.

Your views and comments are always welcome.