Friday 30 November 2007

WHOSE WHO?

Over the years, I have always attempted to allow free comment on all the sites I have contributed to. On this particular forum I have initiated the “comment moderation” option, allowing me to isolate spurious emails, spam that has passed the filter “test”, and the use of language that would make the Gallagher Brothers (Oasis) blush.

Personal criticism does not worry me: if you want to be involved in local politics, particularly South Tyneside, you need to have skin thicker than a rhino. What is strange however is peoples wish to comment under made up names or false identities. I publish openly under my own name, and so do other people on other blogs. In view of the issues and content of what myself and others cover, it is the least we can do.

I therefore fail to understand then, why other people feel the need to comment under obscure names and descriptions. If you have a view or disagree with me, please feel free to express it; but at least have the dignity and guts to use your real name. Why would you want to hide it?

I notice from posts on the site http://whiteleasandparkway.blogspot.com, that the Councillors run the moderation option and have had problems with abusive posts. It is a great shame that they also have to act on this cowardly approach to posting on their site. Whilst I don’t always agree with what they write, they perform a service to the community they represent and the people who voted for them (for that matter, also for the people who didn’t vote for them). If other Councillors within the Borough also followed a similar approach to the dissemination of information, they would be less liable to the accusation that they do nothing for their wards!

Dubious comments and posts always have an upside; it shows that at least people have taken the time to visit your site and read what you have spouted on about. It’s just a pity they don’t have the power of their convictions and didn’t behave like immature little boys or girls!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what's wrong with publishing my comments, your friends in Whiteleas do?

Just because I've moved away from the town doesn't mean that my opinions count for nothing braindead!